Executive Intelligence Review
Subscribe to EIR

PRESS RELEASE


Benghazi Atrocity Is Blowing Up on Obama

Oct. 25, 2012 (EIRNS)—Three e-mails released Oct. 24 reveal that within approximately two hours after the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11, the White House Situation Room was notified by the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, as communicated by the State Department, that Ansar al-Sharia, a group which the State Department has identified as an al-Qaeda affiliate, had taken responsibility for the terrorist attack. These three e-mails make it absolutely clear that the Obama White House knew immediately that this was an al-Qaeda terrorist attack on the U.S. on Sept. 11, and deliberately lied to the U.S. population and the world in order to maintain his campaign mantra that Osama bin Laden was dead and al-Qaeda had been destroyed.

The e-mails were obtained by Reuters from government sources not connected with U.S. intelligence agencies or the State Department and who requested anonymity.

While some information identifying recipients of this message was redacted from copies of the messages obtained by Reuters, a government source said that one of the addresses to which the message was sent was the White House Situation Room, The president's secure command post. Other addressees included intelligence and military units, as well as one used by the FBI command center, the source said. It was also sent to the Director of National Intelligence, who later claimed that Susan Rice had lied on national television, based on intelligence provided by his office.

The first e-mail was sent at 4:05 p.m. Washington, D.C. time. It read:

"The Regional Security Officer reports the diplomatic mission is under attack. Embassy Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots [at the Benghazi compound]; explosions have been heard as well. Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four COM personnel are in the compound safe haven. The 17th of February militia is providing security support. The Operations Center will provide updates as available."

At 4:54 p.m., the first update was sent; it read:

"Embassy Tripoli reports the firing at the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi has stopped and the compound has been cleared. A response team is on site attempting to locate COM personnel."

At 6:07 p.m., a second update was sent, entitled:

"Ansar al Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack": "Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli."

According to the official White House schedule, Obama had a meeting at 5:00 p.m. with Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. So the President was in the White House when all three messages arrived, including the last message, which reported that an al-Qaeda affiliate took credit for the attack which began at 3:50 p.m.

The e-mails represent just a few, in what were likely a large number traded throughout the night. The House Oversight Committee told CBS News that the information in the e-mails will be part of their ongoing investigation into the Benghazi attack.